IPC Installation Guide

1. Note

1. Operating temperature for IPCK-i7-16G-256G-1050Ti series IPCs: -10°C to +60°C; Operating temperature for IPCK-i5-16G-256G series IPCs: -20°C to +50°C.
  2. Storage temperature for IPCK-i7-16G-256G-1050Ti series and IPCK-i5-16G-256G series IPCs: -40°C to +85°C.
  3. Relative humidity for IPCK-i7-16G-256G-1050Ti series and IPCK-i5-16G-256G series IPCs: 95% non-operating, non-condensing at 25°C to 30°C.
  4. Avoid strong mechanical movements and handle the product only after adequate electrostatic protection measures have been taken.
  5. Please power off the system before installing any external cards or modules.

2. Positioning the IPC

After placing the IPC inside the control cabinet, it must be securely fixed as required. Since the IPC is connected to the camera and monitor via quick connectors, it’s important to prevent cable tension and excessive bending caused by IPC movement. These issues can lead to camera disconnection or the cables failing to reach their intended lifespan.

Securing IPCK-i7-16G-256G-1050Ti Series IPC

1. Please choose installation bolts of M3.5/M4 (and corresponding washers).
  2. Leave a minimum clearance of L 150mm around the air outlet of the IPC.
    Securing an IPCK-i5-16G-256G Series IPC
  3. Ensure that the strength of the installation wall is sufficient to support the weight of the main unit.
  4. Choose installation bolts of size M3.5/M4 (and corresponding washers), and ensure that the installation depth of the four bolts is at least 35mm.
  5. Ensure that the installation height of the machine is H≤1m.
    Non-compliant Example:

3. IPC Power Supply

3.1 Standard Power Supply

An IPC uses an external independent power adapter with an input voltage of AC 100-240V, 50–60Hz, using a standard three-pin plug.
Note:

1. When using the power adapter, first connect the AC cord to the power adapter. Then, connect the green DC head of the power adapter to the IPC. Finally, plug the AC cord into the power outlet and turn on the power supply.
  2. Do not place the power adapter in overheated areas to avoid shortening its lifespan.

3.2 DC Power Supply

The IPC allows the use of a 24V DC power supply. Please refer to the IPC product manual for the power supply interface definition and input power requirements.

4. IPC Dust Protection

In scenarios where the vision system’s IPC is used in environments with a lot of dust, especially metal dust particles smaller than 2.5mm in diameter, dust protection is essential. During prolonged operation, the surface temperature of the IPC is higher than the surrounding air, making it easy for dust particles to adhere to the IPC surface.
Metal particles from the dust can attach to exposed electrical interfaces (such as the IPC’s network port and IO interface), causing poor contacts in plugs or terminals and deteriorating signal quality. In severe cases, internal components of the IPC can short circuit.

The image above illustrates an application example from a specific project where a large amount of metal dust adhered to the camera port and robot port, causing damage. The port was even sparking on-site. After the IPC was returned to the factory, the supplier reported that internal components of the IPC were irreparable. The interfaces and their cables of the display might also face similar damages.

Recommendation:
Normally, the IPC is placed inside a cabinet, utilizing the enclosed space of the cabinet for dust protection. However, in extremely harsh environments, dust can still enter the interior of the cabinet. Therefore, ensuring dust protection for the IPC cabinet is crucial in such situations.

Dust inside the cabinet generally comes from:

1. The cabinet body and fan openings: Cabinets are assembled and welded from sheet metal, inevitably creating gaps.
  2. Unsealed cable ports, ventilation openings, and connections on the cabinet surface: Multiple parts are not fully sealed, exposing them to the risk of water and dust ingress.
  3. Fan openings on the cabinet surface: These openings are highly susceptible to dust infiltration.

Cabinet Dust Protection Measures:

1. Cable ports can be sealed using brushes or conical rubber seals.
  2. Choose suitable dustproof mesh materials. Generally, the higher the filtration level, the better the dustproof performance. However, it also increases resistance, reducing heat dissipation efficiency. Therefore, it’s necessary to consider the dustproof mesh grade comprehensively.
  3. Regularly replace or maintain dustproof meshes to prevent blockage.

5. IPC Cabinet Ventilation

5.1 Fan Selection

The selection of IPC fans should be based on the actual industrial control requirements, considering both airflow and heat dissipation effectiveness. Commonly used fan sizes in project sites (China) include: 122x122mm, 224x224mm, 255x255mm, 292x292mm, 323x323mm. It is generally recommended to use 323x323mm fans (airflow—free blowing 500–560 cubic meters/hour). If there are other heat dissipation devices inside the cabinet, the design can be adjusted according to specific requirements.

5.2 Fan Installation Position

A pair of exhaust fans should be installed alternately on the upper and lower surfaces of the cabinet exterior.
The image below shows the test results inside a unified cabinet (323x323mm fan, the thermometer used is a non-contact handheld infrared thermometer by Dericsson, and the cabinet contains K-IPCK-i7-16G-256G-1050Ti series IPC).

1. Cabinet temperature without fans
  2. Cabinet temperature with 2 exhaust fans
  3. Cabinet temperature with 1 exhaust fan and 1 blowing fan

PS: The common fan shown below can have its main body reversed to change the airflow direction.
1: Fan body | 2: Metal protective cover | 3: Louvers (including filter)

6. IPC Grounding

Before use, ensure reliable grounding for the IPC, as illustrated below.

1. IPCK-i7-16G-256G-1050Ti Series IPCs

2. IPCK-i5-16G-256G Series IPCs

* IPCK-i5-16G-256G includes the following models:

IPCK-i5-16G-256G-CN
IPCK-i5-16G-256G-EU
IPCK-i5-16G-256G-JP
IPCK-i5-16G-256G-US
IPCK-i5-16G-256G-UK