Connection a camera in MechVision 1.7.1

I tried to connect a camera in MechVision, before that the camera was tested in MechEye SDK 2.0.2 and was fully working.

When trying to use this camera in MechVision 1.7.1 in the step “Capture images from camera” the camera was only found as “External2D EBUS Camera”. By coincidence the camera got an ip adress like 169.254.99.X. A colleague told me that those ip adresses should not be used since this will lead to the situation described above.

My question on that is: Where can i find this information in the docs? In case those ip adresses should not be used it would make sense to tell the user during configuration what adresses are allowed?

Another point that i was told: When the camera cannot be found it is possible that MS Defender is blocking the connection, is that true?

Greetings,
Andreas

Hi Andreas
For the question 1: normally, the camera IP should be 192.168.x.x ,and if may be set to 169.254.x.x ( the Mech-Eye SDK version which is higher than 2.0.0 ), if you have connected the camera with Router, you may need set the PC ethernet connection as DHCP mode, then use Mech-Eye Viewer to scan the devices, please make sure there will be no ip conflicts if you use dual Network Interface Card

For the question 2: please refer to the docs:

Camera Not Found in Mech-Eye SDK

1.Check Windows Defender Firewall and Antivirus Software
Windows Defender Firewall and antivirus software may prevent the communication between Mech-Eye Viewer and the camera.

• Check antivirous software: If an antivirus software is running, please turn it off.

• Configure Windows Defender Firewall: You can turn off Windows Defender Firewall completely, or unblock Mech-Eye Viewer in Windows Defender Firewall.

2.Turn off Windows Defender Firewall:

Click the magnifying glass icon in the taskbar, and search for Windows Defender Firewall.

Click Windows Defender Firewall in the search results to open it, and click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off on the left.

Select Turn off Windows Defender Firewall for both settings, and then click OK at the bottom.

3.Unblock Mech-Eye Viewer in Windows Defender Firewall:

Click the magnifying glass icon in the taskbar, and search for Windows Defender Firewall.

Click Windows Defender Firewall in the search results to open it, and click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall on the left.

Click Change settings at the top and then click Allow another app… at the bottom.

In the pop-up window, click Browse, navigate to the installation path of Mech-Eye Viewer, and select Mech-Eye Viewer.exe.

Click Add to unblock Mech-Eye Viewer.
After performing the above, open Mech-Eye SDK and see if the camera shows up.

Cheers, mate.
Barry

1 Like

Hi Mech-Mind-Barry,

Question 2 is fully an exhaustive answered, thank you for that!

On question 1 i am not sure if i get your answer right. So when i am not using a router and i use static ip addresses i have to make sure i am not using 169.254.x.x since i will only find the External2D EBUS Camera? Is that correct?

Again, thank you for your answers.

Greetings,
Andreas

Hi Andreas,
For the 169.254.x.x IP address, which is a factory setting, so when you connect the camera to the Mech-Eye viewer for the very first time, it will be under such an IP segment. After you get this IP, here are some steps you may need to do

1. Option 1: you may need to configure your PC ethernet IP to the same IP segment like 169.254.x.x to ensure the connection works.

2. Option 2: you may set the Camera IP into the same IP segment as your PC, which could also make the connection works.

Cheers, mate.
Barry